- Innovation Management in emerging and converging industries
- Business Models and business model innovation
- Systems approaches to better understand business and innovation ecosystems
- Global Value Networks
- New business start-up and business collaboration
- Healthcare and Medicine
PhD candidate researching innovation with convergent technologies in health care ecosystems, funded EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing CMAC .
Before embarking on his PhD, Mark was a Senior Vice President and Head of Development, Supply and Service for diagnostics at GlaxoSmithKline. He held a variety of roles in a career spanning 30 years in pharmaceuticals and life sciences covering technical and engineering, manufacturing operations, global supply chain leadership, manufacturing strategy, lean and business change, and new business start-up.
He is a visiting professor at Leeds University Business School, focused on Strategy and Innovation.
He also consults and provides advise to businesses in business strategy and planning, and in product and supply chain development.
He is a Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the Institute for Chemical Engineers.
He is a Fellow of the RSA (FRSA).
Education and professional qualifications
- FIChemE, Fellow, Institute Of Chemical Engineers
- Member, Institute of Directors
- MSt. (University of Cambridge 2003), Manufacturing Leaders programme
- C.Eng, Chartered Engineer
- B.Sc 1st Class Honours (Loughborough University, 1981), Chemical Engineering.
Publications and Conference papers
- Phillips, M.A. 'Understanding ecosystems: towards a more systemic approach', International Manufacturing Symposium, Cambridge 2015
- Phillips, M.A. 'Innovation ecosystems: the role of Business Model Evolution as an ‘adaptive exploration’', International Manufacturing Symposium, Cambridge 2015
- Phillips, M.A. ‘An integrated approach to innovation in convergent industrial ecosystems: exploratory studies in health care’, EurOMA 2015 Conference, Neuchâtel, Switzerland
- Phillips, M.A. ‘An integrated approach to innovation in convergent industrial ecosystems’, XXVI ISPIM Innovation Conference, Budapest, Hungary
- Phillips, M.A. 'Understanding Emergent Innovation Ecosystems in Health Care’, 26th Annual Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) Conference, Washington DC
- Phillips, M.A. 'Understanding Emergent Industrial Ecosystems in Health Care’, International Manufacturing Symposium, Cambridge 2014
- Business Model Innovation, White Paper, 2015, in draft
Informating next generation supply chains