Dr Ronan Daly
University Senior Lecturer in the Science and Technology of Manufacturing
Dr. Ronan Daly (RD) is a University Senior Lecturer in the Dept. of Engineering, University of Cambridge since September 2013. He previously worked in Unilever R&D with the final role of Process Technology Manager (2006), bringing deodorant formulation innovations to full-scale manufacturing. Graduated with PhD in Chemistry from School of Chemistry and Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices, Trinity College Dublin before moving to the University of Cambridge. He currently leads the Fluids in Advanced Manufacturing research group, which studies fluid flow as well as interfacial and functional material challenges to enable scale-up of new manufacturing processes. There are three themes:
A – Multidisciplinary process science. The group brings together fundamental laboratory research in a range of disciplines – chemistry, nanoscience, fluid mechanics and interfacial science to focus on manufacturing techniques and processes.
B – The Inkjet Research Centre. The group studies scientific phenomena that constrain current inkjet applications, such as how aerodynamic effects become increasingly important when printing at high speeds.
C – Science of scale-up. Understanding the interdependencies between the advanced functionality of emerging materials/devices and their associated manufacturing technologies.
Key research interests include:
- Paper-based, acoustic and nanomaterial biosensors
- Scale-up challenges of emerging technologies
- Novel applications of inkjet printing
- Self-organised nanostructures
- Supramolecular gels
- Additive Manufacturing
- Q. Zhang, N. Willis-Fox, C. Conboy, R. Daly, Direct-writing microporous polymer architectures - print, capture and release, Materials Horizons, 2020 (In press).
- C. J. Henderson, E. Rognin, E. A. H. Hall, R. Daly, Design and model of a ‘falling particle biosensor', Sensors & Actuators B: Chemical, 2020 (In press).
- T. Mangoma, S. Yamamoto, G. Malliaras, R. Daly, Hybrid 3D/Inkjet Printed Organic Neuromorphic Transistors, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2020 (In press).
- J. Macdonald, H. de Fossard, N. Gabbani, W. O’Neill and R. Daly, Material ejection dynamics in direct-writing of low resistivity tracks by laser-induced reverse transfer, Applied Surface Science, 2020, 536,147924.
- M.C. Rodriguez-Rivero, J.M. Philpott, A.B. Hann, J.L. Harries, R. Daly, Deflecting the issue – The origin of nanoscale material build-up in continuous inkjet, Journal of Imaging Science and Technology, 2020, 64, 050403.
- J. Orozco-Messana, R.Daly, I.F.Zanchetta-Chittka, Cu2O–ZnO heterojunction solar cell coupled to a Ni(OH)2-rGO-PPy supercapacitor within a porous stoneware tile, Ceramics International, 2020, 46, 24831.
- Y. Tuchman, T.N. Mangoma, P. Gkoupidenis, Y. van de Burgt, R.A. John, N. Mathews, S.E. Shaheen, R.Daly, G.G. Malliaras, A. Salleo, Organic neuromorphic devices: Past, present, and future challenges, MRS Bulletin, 2020, 45, 619-630.
- C.J. Valentine, K. Takagishi, S. Umezu, R. Daly, M. De Volder, Paper based electrochemical sensors using paper as scaffold to create porous carbon nanotube electrodes, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2020, 12, 30680–30685
- C. McManamon, A. Cameron, J.P. de Silva, R. Daly, F.J. O'Brien, G.L.W. Cross, Effect of cross-linking and hydration on microscale flat punch indentation contact to collagen-hyaluronic acid films in the viscoelastic limit, Acta Biomaterialia, 2020, 111, 279-289
- N. Willis-Fox, E. Rognin, C. Baumann, T.A. Aljohani, R. Göstl, R. Daly, Going with the flow: Tunable Flow-Induced Polymer Mechanochemistry, Advanced Functional Materials, 2020, 30, 2002372
- T.P.J. Knowles, T. Kartanas, Z. Toprakcioglu, T.A. Hakala, A. Levin, T.W. Herling, R. Daly, J. Charmet, Mechanism of droplet-formation in a supersonic microfluidic spray device, Applied Physics Letters, 2020, 116, 153702
- E.A. Kelly, N. Willis-Fox, J.E. Houston, C. Blayo, G. Divitini, N. Cowieson, R. Daly, R. Evans, A single-component photorheological fluid with light-responsive viscosity, Nanoscale, 2020, 12, 6300-6306
- N. Jornet-Martínez, C.J. Henderson, P. Campíns-Falcó, R. Daly, E.A.H. Hall, Towards sarcosine determination in urine for prostatic carcinoma detection, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2019, 287, 380-389
- C.J. Henderson, E. Pumford, D.J. Seevaratnam, R. Daly, E.A.H. Hall, Gene to diagnostic: Self immobilizing protein for silica microparticle biosensor, modelled with sarcosine oxidase, 2019, Biomaterials 193, 58-70
- N. Willis-Fox, E. Rognin, T.A. Aljohani, R. Daly, Polymer mechanochemistry: Manufacturing is now a force to be reckoned with, 2018, Chem 4, 2499-2537
- E. Rognin, N. Willis-Fox, T. Aljohani, R. Daly, A multiscale model for the rupture of linear polymers in strong flows, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2018, 848, 722-742
- J.F. Engels, C.J. Henderson, R. Daly, R. Renneberg, E.A.H. Hall, A lateral flow channel immunoassay combining a particle binding zone geometry with nanoparticle labelling amplification, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2018, 262, 1-8
- T. Kartanas, V. Ostanin, P.K. Challa, R. Daly, J. Charmet, T.P.J. Knowles, Enhanced quality factor label-free biosensing with micro-cantilevers integrated into microfluidic systems, Analytical chemistry, 2017, 89, 11929-11936
- P. Nirmalraj, R. Daly, N. Martin, D.Thompson, Motion of Fullerenes around Topological Defects on Metals: Implications for the Progress of Molecular Scale Devices, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9, 7897–7902.
- J. Charmet, T. C. T. Michaels, R. Daly, A. Prasad, P. Thiruvenkathanathan, R. S. Langley, T. P. J. Knowles, A. A. Seshia, Quantifying Measurement Fluctuations from Stochastic Surface Processes on Sensors with Heterogeneous Sensitivity, Physical Review Applied, 2016, 5, 064016.
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, Taming Self-Organization Dynamics to Dramatically Control Porous Architectures, ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 3087–3092.
- O. Kotova, R. Daly, C. M. G. dos Santos, P. E. Kruger, J. J. Boland, T. Gunnlaugsson, Cross-Linking the Fibers of Supramolecular Gels Formed from a Tripodal Terpyridine Derived Ligand with d-Block Metal Ions, Inorganic Chemistry, 2015, 54, 7735-7741
- J. Charmet, R. Daly, P. Thiruvenkatanathan and A. A. Seshia, The effect of mass loading on spurious modes in micro-resonators. Applied Physics Letters, 2015, 107, 043502.
- R. Daly, T.S. Harrington, G.D. Martin, I.M. Hutchings, Inkjet printing for pharmaceutics - A review of research and manufacturing. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2015, 494, 554–567.
- J. Charmet, R. Daly, P. Thiruvenkatanathan, J. Woodhouse, A. A. Seshia, Observations of modal interactions in lateral bulk acoustic resonators. Applied Physics Letters 2014, 105, 013502
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, The Dominant role of the Solvent/Water Interface in Water Droplet Templating of Polymers. Soft Matter 2013, 9, 7960-7965
- R. Daly, O. Kotova, M. Boese, T. Gunnlaugsson, J. Boland, Chemical Nano-Gardens: Growth of Salt Nanowires from Supramolecular Self-assembly Gels. ACS Nano, 2013,7(6):4838-45
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, Existence of Micrometer-Scale Water Droplets at Solvent/Air Interfaces. Langmuir, 2012, 28 (37), 13218–13223.
- O. Kotova, R. Daly, C.M.G. dos Santos, M. Boese, P.E. Kruger, J.J. Boland, T. Gunnlaugsson, Europium Directed Self Assembly of a Luminescent Supramolecular Gel from a Tripodal Terpyridine Based Ligand. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51 (29), 7208-7212
- R. Daly, S. Kumar, G. Lukacs, K. Lee, A. Weidlich, M. Hegner, G. S. Duesberg, Cell Proliferation Tracking Using Graphene Sensor Arrays. Journal of Sensors, 2012, Article ID 219485.
- S. Kumar, N. McEvoy, H. Kim, K. Lee, N. Peltekis, E. Rezvani, H. Nolan, A. Weidlich, R. Daly, G. S. Duesberg, CVD growth and processing of graphene for electronic applications. Physica Status Solidi (b), 2011, 248, (11), 2604–2608.
- R. Daly, Surface Characterization in "Fundamentals of Inkjet Printing: The Science of Inkjet and Droplets", Ed. S. D. Hoath, 2016, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 365-396.
- M. S. Akram, R. Daly, F. C. Vasconcellos, A. K. Yetisen, I. M. Hutchings, E. A. H. Hall, Applications of Paper-Based Diagnostics in "Lab-on-a-Chip Devices and Micro-Total Analysis Systems", Eds. J. Castillo-Leon, W. E. Svendsen, 2014, Springer ISBN 978-3-319-08686-6