Institute for Manufacturing
IfM: new thinking about manufacturing
The IfM is part of the University of Cambridge’s Department of Engineering.
Our research aims to help:
- Companies develop life-changing products and services, build better businesses, create meaningful jobs, and improve the environment for the future.
- Governments foster innovation and enterprise to deliver social and economic benefits.
Our researchers work on a wide range of manufacturing-related topics including:
- new materials and advanced production technologies
- digital manufacturing technologies and data analytics and how they can be used to transform factories, supply chains and business models
- how new technologies can be nurtured through the development phase and turned into successful businesses.
- effective business tools and processes (such as roadmapping) that can help organisations achieve their strategic goals
For more information about the full range of our research activities, click here.
We provide undergraduate and postgraduate education to create the manufacturing leaders of the future.
For more information about our education programmes, click here.
Through our dissemination arm, IfM Education and Consultancy Services (IfM ECS) Ltd, we provide consultancy and professional development to companies of all sizes and to national and regional governments. IfM ECS is owned by the University of Cambridge and our profits are gifted to the University to fund future research.
For more information about our consultancy and professional development services, click here.