Duncan Hurlstone is a strategy and capability development specialist working with manufacturing businesses of all shapes and sizes, as well as with organisations at local, regional and national levels to bring positive and lasting impact. He has been working with the IfM Engage team since early 2010.
In his role as an Industrial Associate, Duncan works in a highly collaborative way by combining the latest tools and approaches with his own industrial experience. This enables:
- rapid and effective development of business strategy in a way that builds upon the existing strategic planning cycle;
- building of a stronger competitive position together with deep customer, market and competitor knowledge;
- generation and prioritisation of ideas to create and capture new value.
Duncan’s work demonstrably contributes to the positive impact of highly respected IfM research into practice, whilst also helping to both inform and fund further IfM research in Technology, Innovation and Strategic Management.
Prior to his time as an Industrial Associate, Duncan worked for over 16 years in a leading international manufacturer of technology for the dry mortar industry, with roles in international business development and over seven years as Managing Director of the German Group’s UK subsidiary.
Some of Duncan’s work as an Industrial Associate is also being used as an example to support the latest IfM-led research (see IfM 2018 publication referring to this here).
Duncan has a Masters Degree in Manufacturing Engineering from the University of Cambridge and an MBA from Warwick Business School. He is based in Manchester.
Call Direct: 07540 978082
- Institute for Manufacturing
- 17 Charles Babbage Road
- Cambridge CB3 0FS
- Artificial Intelligence
- Asset Management
- Business Model Innovation
- Complex Additive Materials
- Decision-Making for Emerging Technologies
- Design Management
- Digital Manufacturing
- Distributed Information & Automation Laboratory
- Fluids in Advanced Manufacturing
- Industrial Photonics
- Industrial Resilience
- Industrial Sustainability
- Inkjet Research
- Innovation and Intellectual Property
- International Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Industry Education Research
- Science, Technology & Innovation Policy
- Strategy and Performance
- Technology Enterprise
- Technology Management
- Service Alliance
- University Commercialisation and Innovation Policy Evidence Unit