Business Model Innovation
Chen Ye is currently a PhD student under the supervision of Dr. Chander Velu. He has joined the Business Model Innovation Research Group at the IfM since Jan 2022. His main area of interest is system thinking and analytics of digital transformation and how the application of AI/ML could help reshape business models and hence improve performance and productivity in manufacturing.
Chen has 12 years’ experience in industrial automation and intelligence in China, Africa and US. He published papers in academic journals like IJMTM, reviewed papers for conferences like CDC and ACC, and obtained 20 patents and 2 industry awards.
Prior to joining the IfM, Chen had worked for Equota Energy in Shanghai for over 3 years as the industrial development director. He led the development and management of products including algorithm models and software applications based on AI/ML in industrial equipment predictive maintenance and operation optimization. He led and completed projects of anomaly detection and diagnosis of rotating equipment such as fan and motor in industries like iron & steel.
Before that, Chen joined the System Design and Management (SDM) graduate program, jointly offered by MIT’s School of Engineering and Sloan School of Management. He tapped into MIT’s resources in engineering, management, and system thinking to better understand the digital and intelligent technologies, products, services, and the ecosystem from a holistic view. He did his summer internship in the Data Analytics Team at Ericsson Silicon Valley. Chen obtained his Master of Science Degree in Engineering and Management from MIT in 2018. He is a fellow of SDM.
Prior to that, Chen had worked in Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC) projects in the metal and mining industry in China and Africa for 9 years. He worked on many functions, such as factory automation engineering consulting, engineering design, on-site implementation, project management, marketing, and business development. He got promoted to be the head of African department, and started a subsidiary in D.R. Congo as an intrapreneur. He collaborated with local partners, provided engineering solutions to local customers, and achieved multi-win results.
Chen has been an astronomer fan for over 20 years. He founded an Amateur Astronomer Club as an undergraduate. He is a fan of sports such as skydiving, scuba diving, skiing, snowboarding and skateboarding. He has travelled in over 20 countries throughout 6 continents.
- Business Model Innovation
- Digital Transformation
- Industrial AI/ML
- Industrial Automation
- Predictive Maintenance
- Operation Optimization
- A System Approach to Implementation of Predictive Maintenance with Machine Learning, Thesis: S.M. in Engineering and Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, System Design and Management Program, 2018.
- Implementation of integrated automatic control system of copper smelter based on bath smelting technique, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management Vol. 25 No.4 (2012) pp 224-236, EI accession number: 13560478
- Implementation of lance control in top-blown copper smelting process based on DCS,
Advanced Materials Research Vols. 457-458 (2012) pp 161-164, EI accession number: 12991832
- Implementation of burner control in top-blown copper smelting process based on DCS, Proceedings of the China non-ferrous metal automation engineering technology conference (2015) pp 61-66
- Design and Implementation of waste heat boiler process control system in top-blown copper smelting, Proceedings of the China non-ferrous metal automation engineering technology conference (2015) pp 67-72
- Oxgen Top-blown Furnace Ignition Control System, CHN Patent, ZL 2011 2 0063335.X
- Oxgen Top-blown Furnace Lance Cooling Control System, CHN Patent, ZL 2011 2 0062615.9
- A Batch Calculation Approach, CHN Patent, ZL 2011 1 0058596.7
- Converter Air Supply Equipment, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0616586.6
- Waste Heat Boiler Steam Drum Three-impluse Water Level Control Strategy, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0616160.0
- Oil and Oxygen Supply Control Strategy in the Smelting System, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0619833.8
- Waste Heat Boiler Steam Drum Pressue Control Strategy, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0616353.6
- Lance Control Strategy, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0281989.X
- Converter Rotation Control Strategy, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0609058.8
- Oil and Oxygen Supply Control Strategy in the Temperature Holding Model, CHN Patent, ZL 2010 1 0619737.3
T: +44 0742 1728039