Dr Carlos Lopez Gomez
Head of Knowledge Transfer, POLICY LINKS, Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (CSTI)
Main investigator of the Economic Value Capture from Industrial-Innovation Systems research strand at the Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy.
- National Value Capture through Manufacturing: Value capture analyses of manufacturing industries beyond the ‘smiling-curve’.
- Industrial Strategy and Manufacturing Policy: Development frameworks and international approaches.
- Manufacturing Futures: National competency requirements for future manufacturing competitiveness.
Carlos López-Gómez is the head of POLICY LINKS, the knowledge exchange unit of the Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (CSTI), University of Cambridge. Policy Links' mission is to develop new policy evidence, insights and tools building on the latest academic thinking and international best practice.
Carlos has advised governments and international institutions including the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), the European Commission as well as regional governments and cluster organisations in Mexico, Spain and UK.
Carlos started his career with engineering roles at Toyota and GE working both in Mexico and the US. He holds a PhD in industrial economics and innovation policy (University of Cambridge).
In 2015, Carlos was seconded at the Center for Research and Development Strategy (CRDS), Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and was a visiting researcher at the Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo.
Carlos is a member of Downing College.
Recent publications and working papers
- Blancas, A., & López-Gómez, C. (Forthcoming). Technological and financial integration of SMEs in Mexico: towards a new industrialisation policy. In Industrial Challenges in Mexico (Ed.). School of Economics, National Polytechnic Institute. [Book chapter in Spanish].
- López-Gómez, C., O’Sullivan, E., Gregory, M., Fleury, A., & Gomes, L. (2012). Emerging Trends in Global Manufacturing Industries and Implications for Latin America. An Institute for Manufacturing Submission to UNIDO-ECLAC’s Study on “Industrial Diversification in Latin America".
- López-Gómez, C. and O’Sullivan, E. (2012). National and regional value-capture in evolving industrial systems: insights from Singapore’s aerospace industry. University of Cambridge Centre for Industry and Government Working Paper. An earlier version of this paper was presented in March 2012 at the Institute for Technology, Enterprise and Competitiveness (ITEC), Doshisha University.
- Andreoni, A. and López-Gómez, C. (2011). Can we live on services? Exploring the black box of manufacturing-services interfaces for operations management and industrial policy design. Presented at the Singapore Economic Review Conference 2011, Singapore. A revised version was presented at the DRUID Academy Conference 2012, Cambridge.
- López-Gómez, C. and O’Sullivan, E. (2011). Aligning industrial policy & evolving industrial systems: An enhanced framework to structure industry analysis. Presented at the Gulf Research Meeting 2011, Cambridge University.
- López-Gómez, C. and Gregory, M. (2009). Exploring the links between national manufacturing policies and firm level manufacturing strategies. In proceedings of the 16th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Gothenburg, 2009.