Alexander joined the CTM as a first year PhD student at the beginning of October 2017 under the supervision of Dr Frank Tietze. Alexander earned a Master of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida, in 2006 and an MPhil in Technology Policy from the University of Cambridge in 2007. Subsequently, he went on to work for Rolls-Royce in Derby, UK, in various engineering roles until 2011. Then, Alexander joined Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg, Germany, as a product sales manager in the company’s aircraft component services division. Thereafter he represented Spairliners, a JV between Lufthansa Technik and Air France Industries, as a sales manager, before returning to Lufthansa Technik in February 2015 as a group purchasing manager negotiating new procurement contracts and cooperation agreements with aircraft engine OEMs.
Alexander’s PhD research focuses on the area of value capture from service business models, whereas his aim is to develop a framework for effective appropriation and sustainable value capture from both service innovations and existing service business models. While pursuing his doctoral research, Alexander continues to work for Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg, Germany, on a part-time basis. His research and PhD project is supervised by Dr Frank Tietze, Lecturer in Technology and Innovation Management at the IfM. Apart from his PhD studies, Alexander is also interested in the effects of cyber-physical systems on and the implications of the 4th industrial revolution for the aircraft maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) industry.
Alexander is a member of Hughes Hall.
- Moerchel, A. (2007). The Silent Aircraft Initiative – An Assessment of the Direct Operating Costs of SAX 40. Master of Philosophy. Judge Business School. University of Cambridge.
- Moerchel, A. (2006). Investigation of the dynamic effects of flap deflection on the aerodynamic characteristics of an airplane wing using CFD. Master of Science. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
- Associate of the Royal Aeronautical Society and Secretary of the society’s Hamburg branch
- Aviation: aspiration to get a private pilot license
- Motor Sports: loyal supporter of the Scuderia Ferrari and Michael Schumacher
- Music: playing the piano
- Sports: running, tennis and skiing