Dr Eoin O'Sullivan
Director, Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy (CSTI)
- Governmental strategies for key emerging technologies
- Comparative analysis of international innovation systems, institutions and policies
- University-industry research collaboration mechanisms
- The influence of standards and regulation on emerging technologies and industries
- The 'manufacturability' and 'scale-up' challenges of key emerging technologies
- The coordination and alignment of government agencies' support for emerging technologies
Eoin O'Sullivan joined the Institute for Manufacturing as a Senior Policy Fellow in 2007. Since then Eoin has carried out research on the ways science and engineering R&D is translated in new technologies, industries and economic wealth. Eoin's policy-related activities have included studies for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills; the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council; the UK Government Office of Science; Innovate UK; and the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
Eoin is one of the organisers of the Babbage Industrial Policy Network, an initiative to bring together researchers from engineering, economics and management with a shared interest in: the role of manufacturing in modern economies ways; the alignment of national technical capabilities with economic value capture opportunities; and the potential for industrial-innovation policies to promote economic competitiveness and growth.
In addition to his technology and innovation policy research activities, Eoin also maintains an interest in university research and knowledge exchange practices. He is co-author, with Dr Gary Crawley, of The Grant Writer's Handbook: How to Write a Research Proposal and Succeed (Imperial College Press, 2015). Eoin also maintains a set of grant writing webpages offering basic tips for researchers preparing grant applications, and gives occasional grant-writing workshops (with particular focus on communicating research impact and the value of research partnerships).
Before joining the IfM, Eoin was Special Advisor to the Director General of Science Foundation Ireland. At SFI, Eoin managed several university-industry initiatives including the national Centres for Science, Engineering & Technology programme. Eoin was part of the original team that set up SFI. He was both a Senior Policy Advisor at Forfas, The Irish National Policy & Advisory Board for Enterprise, Trade, Science, Technology & Innovation. Eoin has a BSc from University College Cork and a D.Phil. from the Physics Department of Oxford University.
Selected Publications & Policy Studies
- Featherston, C., O'Sullivan, E. (in press, available online 27 July 2016). 'Enabling technologies, transitions, and industrial systems in technology foresight: Insights from advanced materials FTA', Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
- Ho, J-Y, O'Sullivan, E. (in press, available online 12 May 2016). 'Strategic Standardisation of Smart Systems: Roadmapping Process in Support of Innovation'. Technology Forecasting and Social Change.
- Featherston, C., Ho, J-Y, Brévignon-Dodin, L., O’Sullivan, E. (2015). 'Mediating and catalysing innovation: A framework for anticipating the standardisation needs of emerging technologies'. Technovation, 48-49, pp. 25–40.
- Crawley, G, O'Sullivan, E. (2015). 'The Grant Writer's Handbook: How to Write a Research Proposal and Succeed', Imperial College Press.
- McCaffrey, P., O’Sullivan, E., Lopez-Gomez, C. (2014). 'Navigating Complexity in Foresight: Lessons from the UK Future of Manufacturing Project'. 5th International Conference on Future-Oriented Technology Analysis.
- O’Sullivan, E., Andreoni, A., Lopez-Gomez, G. and Gregory, M. (2013). 'What is New in the New Industrial Policy? A Manufacturing System Perspective', Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 29(2), pp. 432-462.
- Featherston, C; Gregory, M; Gill, A & O’Sullivan, E (2013), 'High Value Manufacturing in the UK: A Study of its Challenges, Opportunities and Emerging Technologies', Asian International Journal of Science and Technology in Production and Manufacturing Engineering, 6(2), pp. 61-70.
- Probert, D., Ford, S., Routley, M., O'Sullivan, E. Phaal, R. (2013). 'Understanding and navigating industrial emergence'. Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 227 (6), pp. 781-793.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2013). 'S&T Innovation Systems: The Role of Manufacturing, Intermediate Institutes and Leaders' in 'Addressing Research Innovation & Leadership: The Real Issue of the Middle East and the Arab Spring', Andersson, T., Djeflat, A. (Ed.s). Innovation Technology & Knowledge Management, Springer.
- O'Sullivan, E. and Mitchell, N. (2012). 'International Approaches to Understanding the Future of Manufacturing'. A report for the UK Government Office of Science.
- O'Sullivan, E. and Brevignon-Dodin, L. (2012). 'The Role of Standardisation in Supporting Emerging Technologies'. A study for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills and the British Standards Institute.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2011). 'International Approaches to Manufacturing Research'. A report for the UK Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council.
- Phaal, R., O'Sullivan, E. Routley, M., Ford, S., Probert, D. (2010). 'A framework for mapping industrial emergence'. Technol. Forecast Soc. Change, 78: 217-230
- Kenward, M., O'Sullivan, E. (2010). 'Impact where it matters: The economic, social and cultural benefits of higher education in the UK'. A report for the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2010). 'The Role of the National Research Base as Attractor of R&D Foreign Direct Investment'. A report for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills.
- Crawley, G.M. and O'Sullivan, E. (2006). 'The Celtic Tiger and a Knowledge Economy'. Industry & Higher Education, Vol. 20 (4), 225-229.
- Kyhm, K. Taylor, R.A., O'Sullivan, E.D., et al. (2002). 'Hot phonons and non-thermal carrier states in GaN'. Physica B-Condensed Matter, 314 (1-4): 30-34
- Kim, J., Maciel, A., O'Sullivan, E.D., et al (2000). 'Fermi-edge singularities in the photoluminescence spectrum of modulation-dope v-groove quantum wires'. Physica E, 7(3-4): 517-520