Pratheeba is "Lecturer in Innovation, Intellectual Property and Sustainability" at the University of Exeter Business School. From 2018-2022 she worked as a Research Associate with Prof Frank Tietze for the Belmont Forum funded project on ‘Intellectual Property Models to Accelerate Sustainability Transitions (IPACST)’. IPACST is an international and interdisciplinary project with collaborators from UK, India, Germany and Sweden.
Innovation and intellectual property (IP) management – IP models for sustainability transitions, open IP approaches, economics of patents including patent transaction, patent pricing, IP market intermediaries and IP research methodologies.
Technology management – technology transfer, technology adoption and diffusion in developing and developed countries.
Awards and Honours:
1. Oxford Martin fellowship for Post-Doctoral Research in Intellectual Property, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, April 2018-November 2018.
2. Post-Doctoral Associateship, National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)-United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Policy Research on Inequality and Human Development, India, June 2017 – January 2018.
3. Prof. K.N. Krishnaswamy Gold Medal, for the best M.Sc. (Engg.) thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India, 2012-2013.
4. Microsoft Grant, for paper presentation, at the Portland International Conference of Management of Engineering and Technology, (PICMET), Bangkok, July, 2010.
5. Research Associateship, Indian Institute of Science, India, July 2016 to May 2017.
6. M.Sc. Engg. (by research) scholarship, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, August 2009 – December 2011.
7. Ph.D. scholarship, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, January 2012 – June 2016.
1. Vimalnath, P., A. Gurtoo, and M. Mathew. 2018. Patent characteristics and the age-value relationship: Study of OceanTomo auctioned US singleton patents for the period 2006-2008. R&D Management, Vol. 48, Iss. 3, pp. 271-289.
2. Vimalnath, P., A. Gurtoo, and M. Mathew. 2017. The relationship between patent age and selling price across bundling strategies for United States patents, predominately for computer and communication technology. World Patent Information, Vol. 48, pp. 1-11.
3. Vimalnath, P. and A. Gurtoo. 2017. Trend and Sale of Computer & Communication Patents in United States. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 325-332.
4. Mathew, M., R. Magnier-Watanabe, S. Pratheeba (P. Vimalnath), and N. Balakrishnan. 2014. Assessing Technology Differences in Electronic and Mobile Payment Systems among Developed and Developing Countries, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, Vol. 11, Iss. 2, p. 1450005.
5. Rajalakshmi, M., T. Purusothaman, and S. Pratheeba (P. Vimalnath). 2010. Collusion-Free Privacy Preserving Data Mining, International journal of Intelligent Information Technologies, Vol. 6, Iss. 4, pp. 30-45.
Conference publications/presentations/ working paper
1. Tietze, F., J. Sternkopf, E. Eppinger and P. Vimalnath. 2017. IP Strategies and Sustainable Technologies: When Do Open IP Strategies Increase Sustainable Impact?, DRUID17, New York, USA, June 12-14, 2017.
2. Tietze, F., J. Sternkopf, E. Eppinger and P. Vimalnath. 2017. IP strategies for sustainability - When does Open IP Increase Sustainable Impact?. 1st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Technology and Engineering Management Society (TEMSCON 2017), California, USA. June 8-10, 2017.
3. Vimalnath, P., and A. Gurtoo. 2017. Selling price variations of single, portfolio and multi-disciplinary inventions: A case of auctioned United States patents. 2nd Academic International Conference on Business, Economics and Management (AICBEM), Cambridge, United Kingdom, May 22-24, 2017.
4. Pratheeba, S. (P. Vimalnath), M. Mathew and A. Gurtoo. 2015. Effect of past, present and future technological importance of a patent on its value. Presented, 4th Biennial Indian Academy of Management (IAM) Conference, IIM Lucknow, Noida campus, India, December, 2015.
5. Mathew, M., N. Balakrishnan, and S. Pratheeba (P. Vimalnath). 2010. A Study on the Success Potential of Multiple Mobile Payment Technologies. Portland International Conference of Management of Engineering and Technology, (PICMET), Bangkok, Thailand, July, 2010.
6. Sternkopf, J. F. Tietze, E. Eppinger, and P. Vimalnath. 2016. Open IP strategies for enabling sustainability transitions, Centre for Technology Management working paper series, No. 10, December 2016.
Reviewer/Editorial board member:
1. Reviewer, European Academy of Management (EURAM), 2019 (upcoming).
2. Reviewer, World Open Innovation Conference (WOIC), 2018.
3. Reviewer, 4th Biennial Indian Academy of Management (IAM) Conference, 11th to 13th December, 2015, IIM Lucknow, Noida campus, India.
4. Reviewer, Consortium of Students in Management Research (COSMAR), 2014 & 2016, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India.
5. Reviewer, Book edited by K. Anbumani, and R. Nedunchezhian, Soft Computing Applications for Database Technologies: Techniques and Issues, 2010, published by Information Science Reference, IGI Global, USA.
1. Assistance, designing, and teaching in the course: Methodology of Management Research (2015, 2016), Indian Institute of Science, India.
2. Assistance and teaching in the course: Management of Innovation and Intellectual Property (2014, 2015), Indian Institute of Science, India.
Affiliations and Experience:
Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of Oxford, United Kingdom (Apr 2018-Nov 2018)
Post-Doctoral Associate, National Institute of Advanced Studies, India (Jun 2017-Jan 2018)
Visiting Researcher, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom (Apr 2017 – May 2017)
Research Associate, Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), India (Jun 2016 – May 2017)
Assistant Systems Engineer, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS) (May 2006 to July 2008)
Program Manager, Jayam Tech, a start-up, India (July 2008 to June 2009)
Ph.D. (2017), Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), Bengaluru, India.
M.Sc. Engg. by research (2012), Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), Bengaluru, India.
B.E., Computer Science (2006), Govt. College of Tech. (GCT), Coimbatore, India.