Successful product design demands that the insides and outsides of a product are designed in tandem. This module seeks to integrate industrial design issues such as aesthetics and ergonomics with core engineering design concerns including functionality, product architecture and detailed engineering.
Module learning outcomes
On completion of the module students should be able to:
- Apply basic engineering principles to the design of products
- Determine a product’s architecture
- Understand and apply dimensional tolerances to engineering drawings
- Structure the estimation of unit cost analysis of a design
- Understand and be able to apply basic ergonomic principles
- Understand why products are designed as they are and be able to explore a product’s form
Two pieces of coursework, assessed by submission of individual design portfolio.