Helping research achieve impact
"Every academic group which wants its work to have societal impact should take advantage of the expertise offered by IfM ECS in facilitating academia-industry collaboration."
Professor David Cardwell, Bulk Superconductivity Group Leader and Head of the Department of Engineering
Funding bodies and universities alike are seeking to drive research activities which will have significant impact in the 'real world'. We work both with universities and research funding bodies in the UK and internationally to support the commercialisation of their research outputs.
We specialise in bringing industry and academia together to help:
- Universities understand industry needs and shape their research agendas accordingly.
- Identify potential commercial applications for new technologies developed within a university environment.
- Universities around the world support the development of industrial strategy.
- Carry out market research and analysis to enable academics to assess the commercial relevance of their research at an early stage.
We have carried out projects for a number of EPSRC Centres for Innovative Manufacturing, creating roadmaps for:
- Ultra Precision Reel-to-Reel Platform
- Large-Area Electronics
- Laser-based Production Processes
- Ultra Precision Micro-Manufacturing Research Platform
In each of these projects we brought groups of industrialists and researchers together in a workshop to explore potential applications for their research programmes. The group identifies the best commercial opportunities and creates a roadmap for development plans and performance targets.