CSTI’s applied research activities are distinguished, in particular, by efforts to more carefully characterize the technologies, application systems and industrial structures involved in the journey from research to economic wealth; and by efforts to ensure that research outputs are directly relevant to the evidence needs of those government agencies supporting the research & innovation base.
Other emphases in CSTI’s research agenda and approach include:
- A focus on radically new emerging technologies from the public science & engineering research base
- Comparative analysis of national industrial and innovation systems
- Focus on translational and intermediate innovation system components
- Characterisation of innovation system functions, value capture, dynamics
- Highlight implications for the design, implementation and alignment of government industrial strategy, innovation policies, programmes and practices
- Alignment of STI policies with governmental industrial strategies