Innovation & Strategic Management of Intellectual Property
This full eight week module was launched in October 2017. It is available for students attending the Engineering tripos, but also ISMM and PhD students. We believe we are one of the few universities where such dedicated IP management module is available for students. Further syllabus details available here.
The aims of the course are to:
- the relevance of intellectual property (IP) in today’s technology and business context.
- how to manage and enforce IP strategically for technology related business problems.
- the portfolio approach to IP, challenges in IP transactions and open innovation.
- how to use patent data and analytics to support business related decision making.
- how to organize for effective IP management.
As specific objectives, by the end of the course students should be able to:
- appreciate the interdisciplinary nature of IP management.
- understand and apply relevant concepts, frameworks, tools and theories introduced during the module.
- interact with professionals (managers, R&D engineers, lawyers) in IP related business conversations.
- understand the opportunities strategic IP management can create to develop and maintain competitive advantage.