Principal Industrial Fellow
Dominic Oughton spent 20 years in leadership roles in manufacturing industry, prior to joining IfM in 2005. Dominic started his career with PA Consulting Group, developing Manufacturing Strategy and Automation solutions in industries as diverse as Pharmaceuticals, Food, Electronics and Metals. He then led the development of a new product range for the Industrial Machinery division of Massey Ferguson, before forming a UK start-up for an off-shore Manufacturing Group.
In the 10 years prior to joining IfM ECS, Dominic has held three MD roles, leading profitable growth in businesses in the electronics industry. Dominic managed the UK Metering and Environmental Systems Divisions of the global Siemens Group, and most recently led Baxall Limited, market leading CCTV manufacturer, gaining recognition as Best Electronics factory in the Management Today Awards for Manufacturing.
Dominic is an alumnus of IfM's Manufacturing Engineering Tripos, with a first class honours degree and MEng in Manufacturing Engineering.
Dominic's current role involves leading projects with partner companies aimed at putting IfM research output into practice. His main focus of activity is in developing winning business and technology strategies to meet the needs of government and corporate organisations. Examples of this work include:
- The future of synthetic biology in the UK
- Mapping The Future of The Australian Rail Supply Network – ‘On Track to 2040’
- Stratified Medicine in the UK
- Living with Environmental Change
- UK Measurement and Standards for Emerging Technologies from NPL
- Australian AA2020 Automotive Roadmap
- GKN – a strategic direction for technology development
- Future scenarios for the UK food and drink industry
Dominic also leads IfM’s practice activities in the area of Open Innovation and heads the Open Innovation in the FMCG Value Chain: A Practitioner Forum.