Dominic Oughton is an innovation management and strategy specialist and works with business organisations and governments across all sectors. He leads the IfM’s Open Innovation Forum in Food, Drink & FMCG and has been working with the IfM Engage team for fifteen years.
In his role as an Industrial Associate, Dominic assists clients with moving their organisations forward in the following key areas:
- Developing winning business and technology strategies to meet the needs of government and corporate organisations.
- Enabling the transformation of organisations and ecosystems through Open Innovation.
As leader of the Open Innovation Forum, Dominic brings together global players from across the value chain to share best practice, understand future markets and identify collaboration opportunities.
Prior to becoming an Industrial Associate, Dominic spent 20 years in leadership roles in manufacturing industry. He started his career with PA Consulting Group, developing Manufacturing Strategy and Automation solutions in industries as diverse as Pharmaceuticals, Food, Electronics and Metals. He then led the development of a new product range for the Industrial Machinery division of Massey Ferguson before forming a UK start-up for an off-shore manufacturing group. Dominic subsequently held three MD roles, leading profitable growth in businesses in the electronics sector. Dominic managed the UK Metering and Environmental Systems Divisions of the global Siemens Group, and most recently led Baxall Limited, market-leading CCTV manufacturer, gaining recognition as Best Electronics Factory in the Management Today Awards for Manufacturing.
Dominic pioneered the application of IfM’s roadmapping approaches to developing sector-wide innovation strategies across UK and the globe. Examples of this work include:
- Australian AA2020 Automotive Roadmap.
- GKN – a strategic direction for technology development.
Dominic also leads IfM’s practice activities in the area of Open Innovation and founded the Open Innovation Forum, building this community to more than 20 leading players from across the whole value chain.
Dominic is an alumnus of IfM’s Manufacturing Engineering Tripos, with a first class honours degree and MEng in Manufacturing Engineering.
- Institute for Manufacturing
- 17 Charles Babbage Road
- Cambridge CB3 0FS
- Artificial Intelligence
- Asset Management
- Business Model Innovation
- Complex Additive Materials
- Decision-Making for Emerging Technologies
- Design Management
- Digital Manufacturing
- Distributed Information & Automation Laboratory
- Fluids in Advanced Manufacturing
- Industrial Photonics
- Industrial Resilience
- Industrial Sustainability
- Inkjet Research
- Innovation and Intellectual Property
- International Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Industry Education Research
- Science, Technology & Innovation Policy
- Strategy and Performance
- Technology Enterprise
- Technology Management
- Service Alliance
- University Commercialisation and Innovation Policy Evidence Unit