Dr Niamh Fox
Niamh joined the Institute for Manufacturing in March 2016 as a Research Associate in the Fluids in Advanced Manufacturing research group of Dr. Ronan Daly. Her current work examines mechano-chemical processes involving polymers, with particular focuses on those processes produced during inkjet printing. This project is funded by the KACST-Cambridge Research Centre.
- Mechano-chemical processes
- Polymer materials and characterisation
- Organic-inorganic sol-gel materials
- Optical characterisation particularly of conjugated polymers
Niamh carried out her PhD research at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, under the supervision of Dr. Rachel C. Evans. Her research involved characterising the structural and optical properties of conjugated polymer materials for sensors and solid-state lighting. During this time Niamh obtained a Fulbright Student Award which she undertook in the lab of Prof. Tim Swager at MIT, Boston. This project investigated the self-assembly of conjugated polymer-based host-guest systems and their consequent optical properties. Prior to her PhD. Niamh obtained a B.A. Mod in Chemistry from Trinity College Dublin, during which time she was appointed as a Scholar of the university. As an undergraduate she was granted a SURE bursary to carry out a project investigating reproducible methods to transfer surface roughness in the lab of Prof. Jacob Israelachvili at the University of California Santa Barbara, UCSB.
- N. Willis-Fox, C. Belger, J. F. Fennell, Jr., R. C. Evans, T. M. Swager, Threading the Needle: Fluorescent Poly-pseudo-rotaxanes for Size-Exclusion Sensing, Chem. Mater., 2016, 10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b00186.
- I. Meazzini, N. Willis-Fox, C. Blayo, J. Arlt, S. Clément, R. C. Evans, Targeted Design Leads to Tunable Photoluminescence from Perylene Dicarboxdimide-poly(oxyalkyene)/siloxane Hybrids for Luminescent Solar Concentrators, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2016, 10.1039/C5TC03952E.
- N. Willis-Fox, M. Kraft, J. Arlt, U. Scherf, R. C. Evans, Tunable White-Light Emission from Conjugated Polymer-Di-ureasil Materials, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2016, 26, 532-542. DOI: 10.1002/adfm201504017.
- N. Willis-Fox, A.-T. Marques, J. Arlt, U. Scherf, L. D. Carlos, H. D. Burrows, R. C. Evans, Synergistic Photoluminescence Enhancement in Conjugated Polymer-Di-ureasil Organic-Inorganic Hybrids, Chem. Sci., 2015, 6, 7227-7237. DOI: 10.1039/C5SC02409A.
- R. C. Evans*, M. Knaapila, N. Willis-Fox, M. Kraft, A. Terry, H. D. Burrows, U. Scherf, Cationic Polythiophene-Surfactant Self-Assembly Complexes: Phase Transitions, Optical Response, and Sensing, Langmuir, 2012, 28, 12348-12356. DOI: 10.1021/la302166a
Selected Conference Contributions
- N. Willis-Fox, A.-T. Marques,M. Kraft, U. Scherf, H. D. Burrows and R. C. Evans, Versatile Conjugated Polymer/Di-ureasil Hybrid Materials: From Enhanced Emission Quantum Yields to White Light Emission, 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Colorado (USA), March 2015.
- N. Willis-Fox, T. M. Swager, Pseudo-polyrotaxanes: Cucurbituril-poly(pyridyl vinyelene) complexes showing enhanced fluorescence and selective sensing capabilities, MIT Polymer Day, Boston, (USA), March 2015.
- N. Willis-Fox, M. Kraft, J. Arlt, A. Lermoyer, C. Champion, J. Carpenter, U. Scherf and R. C. Evans, Tuning the Emission Colour of Conjugated Polymer-Di-ureasil Hybrid Materials: Composition, Energy Transfer and White Light Emission, 66th Irish Universities Chemistry Research Colloquium, University of Galway, Galway, (Ireland) 19th-20th July 2014.
- N. Willis-Fox, M. Kraft, J. Arlt, A. Lermoyer, C. Champion, J. Carpenter, U. Scherf and R. C. Evans, Tuning the Emission Colour of Conjugated Polymer-Di-ureasil Hybrid Materials: Composition, Energy Transfer and White Light Emision, ISACS 13: Challenges in Inorganic and Materials Chemistry, Dublin, (Ireland) 1-4th July 2014.
- N. Willis-Fox, R. C. Evans, Tuning the Emission of Conjugated Polyelectrolytes: A Solid-State Solution, Dorgan Postgraduate Prize Seminar, Trinity College Dublin, (Ireland), March 2014.
- J. Houston, A. Kaniyoor, I. Meazzini, B. McKenna, A. Patterson, N. Willis-Fox, R. C. Evans*, Harnessing Self-Assembly Strategies for Design of Photoactive Hybrid Materials, Amber Launch and CRANN Research Day, Dublin, (Ireland) 25th October 2013.
- N. Willis-Fox, A.-T. Marques, U. Scherf, L. D. Carlos, H. D. Burrows and R. C. Evans, Enhanced Photoluminescent Properties of Novel Di-ureasil Hybrids Based on Conjugated Polyelectrolytes, RSC Photochemistry Early Career Researchers Meeting, Belfast, (UK) 15th-16th May 2013.
- N. Willis-Fox, A. Gutacker, U. Scherf, R. C. Evans, Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET)-based Sensors for Biologically Important Macroanions. XXIV IUPAC Photochemistry Symposium, Coimbra, (Portugal), 12-15th July 2012.