Dr Markku Anttonen
Visiting Research Fellow
Markku joined the Centre for Industrial Sustainability as a visiting scholar from April to August 2018.
Currently Markku works as a researcher together with Minna Lammi in the CloseLoop project, funded by the Strategic Research Council of the Academy of Finland. The project is an ambitious Circular Economy initiative that focuses on closing the loop of the high-added-value materials in the secondary circle of materials flow, in order to decrease the demand of primary raw materials and to support generation of carbon neutral societies. The project has leading expertise in technical innovations for closing the loop, discovering economic business models, and understanding societal behavior. Markku’s work in the project focuses on public and private consumption in CE and innovative business models.
He holds a PhD in organisation and management studies from the Aalto University Business School (2013), and his PhD focuses on empirical analysis of eco-efficient service models, both in B2C and B2B context. After his PhD Markku did consultancy and research through his own company. For example, during that period he participated in developing Aalto University’s sustainability reporting, analysed potential policy tools for the management of industrial chemical waste, and developed sustainable business model ideas for a textile printing company. He joined the Consumer Society Research Centre in 2016 to work in the current CloseLoop -project.
- Sustainability in consumer society
- Sustainable business models
- Sustainable value creation
- Organisation & management research
- Appriciative inquiry/action reserch
- Repo P., Anttonen M., Mykkänen J. & Lammi M. (2018) Lack of congruence between European citizen perspective and policies on circular economy. European Journal of Sustainable Development 2018, 7, 249-264.
- Anttonen M., Halme M., Houtbeckers E. and Nurkka J. (2013) The Other side of sustainable innovation: is there a demand for innovative services. Journal of Cleaner Production 45:89–103, DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.12.019.
- Anttonen M. (2010) Greening from the front to the back door? A typology of chemical and resource management services. Business Strategy and the Environment 19(3): pp199 - 215.
- Halme M., Anttonen M., Kontoniemi N. and Heino E. (2007) Business models for material efficiency services: Conceptualization and application. Ecological Economics 63(1):126-137, DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2006.10.003.