Dr Maria Cristina Rodriguez Rivero
Her work is focused on droplet and jet behaviour, inkjet applications, visualization techniques, aerodynamic effects and other related topics dealing with fluid mechanics in the micro- and milli-scales.
- Fluid dynamics (jet and droplet generation, behaviour and impact, microfluidics, Computations Fluid Dynamics)
- Complex fluid behaviour (including rheological characterization)
- Digital manufacturing techniques
- BEng (2006) University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Industrial Engineering)
- MEng (2008) University of Salamanca, (Electrical and Mechanical Engineering)
- PhD (2014) University of Salamanca, (Chemical Engineering). Her previous experience as a PhD Student dealt with the microparticle production of micro-particles using jet breakup techniques and other closely related areas such as, polymeric fluids rheology and Computational Fluid Dynamics of multiphaseic systems. She has joined Rafael Castrejon’s project as Research Assistant to study the aerodynamic effects in inkjet applications.
- Research Associate in Cambridge (since end of 2014): Her first project at the InkJet Research Centre aimed to study the aerodynamic effects in inkjet applications in order to understand the misplacement of ejected droplets. She has also studied droplet and ligament formation behaviour in Drop on Demand and continuous systems under alternative designs and different viscosity conditions. She has extensively collaborated with companies to address different commercial issues. She is working now on new ideas for droplet manipulation and confined applications.
Publications and main presentations
- Aerodynamic effects in industrial inkjet printing. C. Rodriguez-Rivero, J.R. Castrejón-Pita and I. M. Hutchings. Journal of Imaging Science & Technology. 59(4). pp 1-10. (2015) - videos on https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/248294/
- CFD study of capillary jets under superimposed destabilizing conditions for microdroplet formation. C. Rodríguez-Rivero, E.M.M. Del Valle, M.A. Galán. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics Journal. 9(1). (2015)
- Experimental and linear analysis for the instability of non-Newtonian liquid jets issuing from a pressurized vibrating nozzle C. Rodríguez-Rivero, E.M M. Martín del Valle, M. A. Galán. AIChE Journal. 61(6). (2015)
- Rheological characterization of commercial highly viscous alginate solutions in shear and extensional flows. Cristina Rodríguez-Rivero, Loic Hilliou, Eva M. Martín del Valle, Miguel A. Galán. Rheologica Acta, 53 (7), pp 559-570. (2014)
- CFD modeling and its validation of non-Newtonian fluid flow in a microparticle production process using fan jet nozzles. Cristina Rodríguez-Rivero, José Nogareda, Mariano Martín, Eva M. Martín del Valle, Miguel A. Galán. Powder Technology. 2013; 246(0): 617-624. (2013)
- Development of a new technique to generate microcapsules from the breakup of non- Newtonian highly viscous fluid jets. C. Rodríguez-Rivero, E.M.M. Del Valle, M.A. Galán. AIChE Journal, 2011; 57(12): 3436-3447. (2011)
- Rayleigh-Plateau instabilities on Drop on Demand Jetting. Oral presentation. 68th Annual Meeting of the APS (American Physical Society) Division of Fluid Dynamics. Boston, USA (2015)
- Aerodynamic effects in industrial inkjet printing. Oral presentation. 31th Digital Fabrication and Digital Printing by the Society for Imaging Sciences and Technology. Portland, USA (2015).
- Dynamics and CFD Modeling of Viscoelastic Polymeric Jets Under Rayleigh Instability As a Result of a Controlled Vibration to Produce Size and Span-Controlled Microdroplets. AIChE Annual Meeting. San Francisco (USA). 2013
- Rheological Characterization of Commercial Alginate Solutions Withwith High Viscosity and Its Effect in the Production of Microparticles. AIChE Annual Meeting. San Francisco (USA). 2013.
- CFD Approach for the Analysis of Non-Newtonian Polymeric Microparticles Production. AIChE Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (USA). 2012.
- Development of Two Steps Tissue Allograft with Sequential Growth Factor Delivery to Promote Revascularization in Denudated Pneumonectomy Bronchial Stump. AIChE Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (USA). 2012.
T: +44 (0) 1223 760765