Modules and assessments
In the third year, there are ten taught modules, as described in the table below. With the exception of 3P3 Product Design, which is assessed by coursework, all other modules are assessed by examination. For more information on each of the module titles for more information.
|3P1||Materials into products||From microstructure to mechanical property: manufacturing process optimisation for all classes of solids||100% Examination||Mich|
|3P2||Operation and control of production machines & systems||The specification, operation and management of production machines and systems||100% Examination||Mich|
|3P3||Design||Integrating engineering and industrial design in the creation of new products||100% Coursework||Mich|
|3P4||Operations management||The management of material and information flow in the supply chain||100% Examination||Lent|
|3P5||Industrial engineering||The design of production flows and operations in manufacturing||100% Examination||Lent|
|3P6||Organisational behaviour||An introduction to the theory of organisational behaviour||100% Examination||Mich|
|3P7||Managing business and people||An introduction to the processes involved in starting and running a business||100% Examination||Lent|
|3P8||Financial and management accounting||An introduction to the principles and practice of financial and management accounting||100% Examination||Mich & Lent|
|3P9||Industrial economics, strategy and governance||An introduction to the principles and practice of industrial economics, strategy and corporate governance||100% Examination||Lent|
|3P10||Contemporary issues in manufacturing||(a) Integrative industrial visits to study modern manufacturing practice.
(b) Lectures to introduce current topics
|100% Examination||Mich (lectures)|
The course is assessed by examinations and coursework. The ten modules are worth a total of 600 marks, and coursework totals 240 marks.
There are six written examination papers, as follows:
- Paper 1 (Single module): Materials into products (60 marks)
- Paper 2 (Single module): Production machines and systems (60 marks)
- Paper 3 (Double module): Operations management; Industrial engineering (120 marks)
- Paper 4 (Double module) : Organisational behaviour; Managing business and people (120 marks)
- Paper 5 (Double module): Financial and management accounting; Industrial economics, strategy and governance (120 marks)
- Paper 6 (Single module): Contemporary issues in manufacturing (60 marks)
In addition to the six examination papers, candidates take Module 3P3 (Design) which is assessed by coursework only. 60 marks are available for this module.
Coursework accounts for 240 marks, as follows:
- Major project: 140 marks
- CAD/CAM exercise: 30 marks
- Production game: 30 marks
- Industrial Visits: 40 marks
Note: this may change, please check the course handbook and examinations notice for up to date information