Throughout Michaelmas and Lent terms, students visit 6 firms, representing a diverse section of manufacturing in the UK. This will include: primary processes (e.g. Steel making), automotive, aerospace, electro-mechanical, specialised processes (e.g. Electronics and bio-tech) and FMCG (e.g. Food and consumer goods).
The visits work in close conjunction with module 3P10: Contemporary issues in manufacturing.
Dr R Daly
Expected learning outcomes
On completion, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the sectoral nature of manufacturing industry in the UK.
- Critically describe the organisation and practices in selected factories in particular sectors.
- Compare the organisations and practices seen the light of the taught content of METIIA.
- Critically assess a manufacturing business and factory
- Demonstrate reporting and presentation skills in a team context
Module 3P10 is examined, and students are expected to reflect on their experiences in the industrial visits when answering questions