Letizia Mortara is a Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge and a By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge. She is also an Associate Editor for the R&D Management journal. Letizia’s current focus is in the areas of Strategic Technology Management and Technology Enterprise.
Specific research projects include Technology intelligence (i.e. activity set-up in order to keep abreast with the latest developments in technology) Open Innovation, and the advent of Digital Fabrication technologies in manufacturing (e.g. 3D Printing) and their implications for business.
Letizia has worked within the Centre for Technology Management at the Institute for Manufacturing since 2005. Prior to this, she gained her first degree in Industrial Chemistry at the University of Bologna in Italy. After spending three years working as a process/product manager in the chemical industry, she moved to the UK where she gained her PhD in processing and process scale-up of advanced ceramic materials at Cranfield University.
Books, Reports and Guides
This Practice Guide examines some of the barriers to effective Technology Intelligence communication and explores the ways in which intelligence can be better communicated and hence transferred to decision-makers.
- Minshall T., Mortara L., Ulrichsen, T. Aligning trajectories: How to partner with an ‘opening’ university.(Submitted) California Management Review
- Ahn, J. Mortara, L. Minshall, T. (Submitted Industrial and Corporate Change). Has Open Innovation Enhanced Firm Performance in an Economic downturn? A Longitudinal Comparison between the UK and Korea. (Paper selected for the SI on Open Innovation of Industrial and Corporate Change. Tucci C., Chesbrough, H., Piller, F., West, J. (Eds) during the WOIC, Napa Valley, 4-5 December 2014)
- Ahn, J. Mortara, L. Minshall, T. (Submitted). Understanding the human side of openness: CEO influence on open innovation adoption in innovative SMEs. R&D ManagementMortara, L. Roijakkers, N. (working paper) Open Innovation innomediaries: Exploring managerial barriers to successful collaborations.
- Loh, Y.W. and Mortara L. (In Press). How to Measure Technology Intelligence? International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning
- Mortara, L., Parisot, T. (In Press) Through entrepreneurs’ eyes: the Fab-spaces constellation. International Journal of Production Research. Special Issue on "Distributed manufacturing to enhance productivity!
- Ahn, J. M., Y. Juc, T.H. Moon, Minshall, T. Probert D., S. Y. Sohn, Mortara L. (In Press) Capacity in open innovation process: the relationships between openness, capacities and firm performance Technology Analysis & Strategic Management
- Mortara, L. and N. Parisot. In Press. "How Do Fab-Spaces Enable Entrepreneurship? Case Studies of 'Makers' - Entrepreneurs." International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management - Special Issue “3D Printing: the Next Industrial Revolution” Special Issue “3D Printing: the Next Industrial Revolution” - Int. J. of Manufacturing Technology and Management. Petrick, I. Rayna, T., Striukova, L. (Eds)
- Ford, S., L. Mortara, and T. Minshall. 2016. "The Emergence of Additive Manufacturing: Introduction to the Special Issue." Technological Forecasting and Social Change 102:156-159.
- Thiesse, Frédéric, Marco Wirth, Hans-Georg Kemper, Michelle Moisa, Dominik Morar, Heiner Lasi, Frank Piller, Peter Buxmann, Letizia Mortara, Simon Ford, and Tim Minshall. 2015. "Economic Implications of Additive Manufacturing and the Contribution of MIS." Business & Information Systems Engineering 57 (2):139-148.
- Ahn, J. M., T. Minshall, and L. Mortara. 2015. "Open innovation: a new classification and its impact on firm performance in innovative SMEs." Journal of Innovation Management 3 (2):33-54.
- Park, I., Jeong, Y., Yoon, B., Mortara, L. (2015) Exploring potential R&D collaboration partners through patent analysis based on bibliographic coupling and latent semantic analysis. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management. 1-23.
Mortara, L. and Minshall, T. Patterns of implementation of Open Innovation in MNCs In “New Frontiers in Open Innovation” - Henry W. Chesbrough, Wim Vanhaverbeke, Joel West (editors) – Oxford University Press. Downloadable from http://bit.ly/1wrb1e6
Mortara, L., Phaal, R., Kerr, C., Farrukh, C. & Probert, D., (2014), 'Tool Fingerprinting: Characterising Management Tools, 2014 Proceedings of PICMET '14: Infrastructure and Service Integration, 27 -31 July 2014, Japan.
- Blasini, B., Dang, R.J., Mortara L. and Minshall, T. (2013). The Role of Communicators in Innovation Cluster. In Pfeffermann, N. Minshall, T., Mortara, L. (Eds.) Strategies and Communication for Innovation. Springer Verlag.
Pfeffermann, Nicole; Minshall, Tim; Mortara, Letizia (Eds.) (2013, XVII) Strategy and Communication for Innovation. 2nd ed., 465p. http://www.springer.com/business+&+management/technology+management/book/978-3-642-41478-7
- Ahn, J. M., Mortara, L. & Minshall, T. (2013). The effects of open innovation on firm performance: a capacity approach. Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Review 4 (1), 74-93. http://www.stipolicyreview.net/
- Mortara, L., S. Ford and M. Jaeger (2013). Idea Competitions under scrutiny: acquisition, intelligence or public relations mechanism? - Technology Forecasting and Social Change 80, 1563-1578.
- Oughton, D., Mortara, L., Minshall, T., 2013. Managing asymmetric relationships in open innovation: lessons from multinational companies and SMEs, in: Martinez, M.G. (Ed.), Open innovation in the food and beverage industry. Woodhead Publishing, 2013, pp. 276-292. http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=2682
- Probert, D., Dissel, M., Farrukh, C., Mortara, L., Thorn, V., Phaal, R., (2013). The process of making the business case for technology: A sales and marketing perspective for technologists. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 80, 1129-1139.
- Lee, S., Mortara, L., Kerr, C., Phaal, R., Probert, D. (2012), 'Analysis of document-mining techniques and tools for technology intelligence: Discovering knowledge from technical documents', International Joournal of Technology Management, 60, 130-156. http://www.inderscience.com/offer.php?id=49102
- Probert, D., Dissel, M., Farrukh, C., Mortara, L., Thorn, V., Phaal, R.,(forthcoming), 'The process of making the business care for technology: A sales and marketing perspective for technologists', (2012), Technological Forecasting and Social Change. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162512001795
- Ford, S., Mortara, L. and Probert, D. (2012), 'Disentangling the complexity of early stage technology acquisitions', Research-Tecnhology Mnagement 55(3): 40-48, http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iri/rtm/2012/00000055/0000003/art00007
- Yoon, B. and L. Mortara (2011). "Creative technology opportunities exploration based on technology intelligence." TIM alive 1(1): 30-37
- Lee, S., L. Mortara, C. Kerr, R. Phaal and D. Probert (2011), "Corporate document mining for technology intelligence: An analysis of needs, utilisation and possibilities." International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning 7(2): 110 - 127. See at publisher. http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijtip
- Mortara, L. and T. Minshall "How do large multinational companies implement open innovation?" Technovation. 31 (10-11): 586-597. See publisher
- Mortara, L., J. J. Napp, S. Ford and T. Minshall (2011). Open innovation activities to foster corporate entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and technological change. In L. Cassia, T. Minola and S. Paleari, E. Elgar: 287-316. See publisher
- Dang, R. J., L. Mortara, R. Thomson and T. Minshall (2011). Developing a technology intelligence strategy to access knowledge of innovation clusters. In Strategies for innovation. An integrative management view for companies and networks. M. Hülsmann and N. Pfeffermann Eds. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 51-68. See Google books
- Mortara, L., R. Thomson, et al. (2010). Developing technology intelligence strategy at Kodak European Research: scan & target. Research Technology Management 53(4): 27-38. See publisher
- Minshall, T. H. W., , L. Mortara, D. R. Probert and R. Valli, (2010). Making ‘asymmetric’ partnerships work. Research Technology Management. 53(3): 53-63. See publisher
- Mortara, L., I. Slacik, J. J. Napp and T. Minshall (2010). Implementing open innovation (OI): Cultural issues. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management. 11(4): 369-397 See publisher
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara and J. J. Napp (2010). Implementing open innovation: Challenges in linking strategic and operational factors for large firms working with HTSFs. New technology-based firms in the new millennium In R. Oakey, A. Groen, G. Cook and P. Van der Sijde. Bingley, UK, Emerald Group Publishing Limited. VIII: 189 - 210. See Google books
- Minshall, T., F. Livesey, L. Mortara, J. J. Napp, Y. Shi and Z. Y; (2010). Manufacturing and open innovation. In Nanotechnologies for future mobile devices. T. Ryhanen, M. A. Uusitalo, O. Ikkala and A. Karkkainen Eds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK : 229-249. See Googlebooks
- Mortara, L., J. Hughes, R. Pallant, F. Livesey and D. Probert (2009). Proposed classification scheme for direct writing technologies. Rapid Prototyping Journal 15(4): 299-309. See publisher
- Mortara, L., C. I. V. Kerr, et al. (2009). Technology intelligence practice in UK technology-based companies. International Journal of Technology Management 48 (1): 115 -135. See publisher
- Mortara, L., C. I. V. Kerr, et al. (2009). A toolbox of elements to build technology intelligence systems. International Journal of Technology Management 47(4): 322-345. See publisher
- Minshall, T. H. W., L. Mortara, et al. (2008). Development of practitioner guidelines for partnerships between start-ups and large firms Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management 19 (3): 391 - 406. See publisher
- Lee, S., L. Mortara, C. Kerr, R. Phaal and D. Probert (2008). Discovering technology intelligence from document data in an organisation. EKC2008: Proceedings of the EU-Korea Conference on Science and Technology 124: 371-381. See publisher
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara, et al. (2007). Implementing open innovation: Challenges in linking strategic and operational factors for large firms working with HTSFs. The HTSFs Conference Manchester
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara, et al. (2007). Open innovation: Linking strategic and operational factors. R&D Management Bremen, Germany
- Kerr, C. I. V., L. Mortara, et al. (2006). A conceptual model for technology intelligence. International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning 1(2): 73-93. See publisher