Dr Letizia Mortara
Senior Research Associate
Specific research projects include Technology intelligence (i.e. activity set-up in order to keep abreast with the latest developments in technology) Open Innovation, and the advent of Digital Fabrication technologies in manufacturing and their implications for business.
Letizia Mortara joined the IfM's Centre for Technology Management as a Research Associate in 2005. Letizia has a first degree in Industrial Chemistry gained at the University of Bologna in Italy. After spending three years working as a process/product manager in the chemical industry, she moved to the UK where she gained her PhD in processing and process scale-up of advanced ceramic materials at Cranfield University.
Books, Reports and Guides
This Practice Guide examines some of the barriers to effective Technology Intelligence communication and explores the ways in which intelligence can be better communicated and hence transferred to decision-makers.
Mortara, L. and Minshall, T. Patterns of implementation of Open Innovation in MNCs In “New Frontiers in Open Innovation” - Henry W. Chesbrough, Wim Vanhaverbeke, Joel West (editors) – Oxford University Press. Downloadable from http://bit.ly/1wrb1e6
Mortara, L., Phaal, R., Kerr, C., Farrukh, C. & Probert, D., (2014), 'Tool Fingerprinting: Characterising Management Tools, 2014 Proceedings of PICMET '14: Infrastructure and Service Integration, 27 -31 July 2014, Japan.
- Minshall, T., Kouris, S., Mortara, L., Weiss, D. (2014) Developing infrastructure to support open innovation: Analysis of case studies in the East of England. International Journal of Innovation & Technology Management. 11 (1).
- Blasini, B., Dang, R.J., Mortara L. and Minshall, T. (2013). The Role of Communicators in Innovation Cluster. In Pfeffermann, N. Minshall, T., Mortara, L. (Eds.) Strategies and Communication for Innovation. Springer Verlag.
- Pfeffermann, Nicole; Minshall, Tim; Mortara, Letizia (Eds.) (2013, XVII) Strategy and Communication for Innovation. 2nd ed., 465p. http://www.springer.com/business+&+management/technology+management/book/978-3-642-41478-7
- Ahn, J. M., Mortara, L. & Minshall, T. (2013). The effects of open innovation on firm performance: a capacity approach. Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Review 4 (1), 74-93. http://www.stipolicyreview.net/
- Mortara, L., S. Ford and M. Jaeger (2013). Idea Competitions under scrutiny: acquisition, intelligence or public relations mechanism? - Technology Forecasting and Social Change 80, 1563-1578.
- Probert, D., Dissel, M., Farrukh, C., Mortara, L., Thorn, V., Phaal, R., (2013). The process of making the business case for technology: A sales and marketing perspective for technologists. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 80, 1129-1139.
- Oughton, D., Mortara, L., Minshall, T., 2013. Managing asymmetric relationships in open innovation: lessons from multinational companies and SMEs, in: Martinez, M.G. (Ed.), Open innovation in the food and beverage industry. Woodhead Publishing, 2013, pp. 276-292. http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=2682
- Lee, S., Mortara, L., Kerr, C., Phaal, R., Probert, D. (2012), 'Analysis of document-mining techniques and tools for technology intelligence: Discovering knowledge from technical documents', International Joournal of Technology Management, 60, 130-156. http://www.inderscience.com/offer.php?id=49102
- Probert, D., Dissel, M., Farrukh, C., Mortara, L., Thorn, V., Phaal, R.,(forthcoming), 'The process of making the business care for technology: A sales and marketing perspective for technologists', (2012), Technological Forecasting and Social Change. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162512001795
- Ford, S., Mortara, L. and Probert, D. (2012), 'Disentangling the complexity of early stage technology acquisitions', Research-Tecnhology Mnagement 55(3): 40-48, http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iri/rtm/2012/00000055/0000003/art00007
- Yoon, B. and L. Mortara (2011). "Creative technology opportunities exploration based on technology intelligence." TIM alive 1(1): 30-37
- Lee, S., L. Mortara, C. Kerr, R. Phaal and D. Probert (2011), "Corporate document mining for technology intelligence: An analysis of needs, utilisation and possibilities." International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning 7(2): 110 - 127. See at publisher. http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijtip
- Mortara, L. and T. Minshall "How do large multinational companies implement open innovation?" Technovation. 31 (10-11): 586-597. See publisher
- Mortara, L., J. J. Napp, S. Ford and T. Minshall (2011). Open innovation activities to foster corporate entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and technological change. In L. Cassia, T. Minola and S. Paleari, E. Elgar: 287-316. See publisher
- Dang, R. J., L. Mortara, R. Thomson and T. Minshall (2011). Developing a technology intelligence strategy to access knowledge of innovation clusters. In Strategies for innovation. An integrative management view for companies and networks. M. Hülsmann and N. Pfeffermann Eds. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 51-68. See Google books
- Mortara, L., R. Thomson, et al. (2010). Developing technology intelligence strategy at Kodak European Research: scan & target. Research Technology Management 53(4): 27-38. See publisher
- Minshall, T. H. W., , L. Mortara, D. R. Probert and R. Valli, (2010). Making ‘asymmetric’ partnerships work. Research Technology Management. 53(3): 53-63. See publisher
- Mortara, L., I. Slacik, J. J. Napp and T. Minshall (2010). Implementing open innovation (OI): Cultural issues. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management. 11(4): 369-397 See publisher
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara and J. J. Napp (2010). Implementing open innovation: Challenges in linking strategic and operational factors for large firms working with HTSFs. New technology-based firms in the new millennium In R. Oakey, A. Groen, G. Cook and P. Van der Sijde. Bingley, UK, Emerald Group Publishing Limited. VIII: 189 - 210. See Google books
- Minshall, T., F. Livesey, L. Mortara, J. J. Napp, Y. Shi and Z. Y; (2010). Manufacturing and open innovation. In Nanotechnologies for future mobile devices. T. Ryhanen, M. A. Uusitalo, O. Ikkala and A. Karkkainen Eds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK : 229-249. See Googlebooks
- Mortara, L., J. Hughes, R. Pallant, F. Livesey and D. Probert (2009). Proposed classification scheme for direct writing technologies. Rapid Prototyping Journal 15(4): 299-309. See publisher
- Mortara, L., C. I. V. Kerr, et al. (2009). Technology intelligence practice in UK technology-based companies. International Journal of Technology Management 48 (1): 115 -135. See publisher
- Mortara, L., C. I. V. Kerr, et al. (2009). A toolbox of elements to build technology intelligence systems. International Journal of Technology Management 47(4): 322-345. See publisher
- Minshall, T. H. W., L. Mortara, et al. (2008). Development of practitioner guidelines for partnerships between start-ups and large firms Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management 19 (3): 391 - 406. See publisher
- Lee, S., L. Mortara, C. Kerr, R. Phaal and D. Probert (2008). Discovering technology intelligence from document data in an organisation. EKC2008: Proceedings of the EU-Korea Conference on Science and Technology 124: 371-381. See publisher
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara, et al. (2007). Implementing open innovation: Challenges in linking strategic and operational factors for large firms working with HTSFs. The HTSFs Conference Manchester
- Minshall, T., L. Mortara, et al. (2007). Open innovation: Linking strategic and operational factors. R&D Management Bremen, Germany
- Kerr, C. I. V., L. Mortara, et al. (2006). A conceptual model for technology intelligence. International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning 1(2): 73-93. See publisher