Opportunities at IfM
- Senior Researcher, Policy Connect
- Fully funded MRes & PhD in Ultra Precision Engineering
- Opportunities in IfM ECS
- Opportunities for research students
Closing date: 29 January 2015
The Manufacturing, Design and Innovation team at Policy Connect seek to recruit a Senior Researcher. The successful candidate will be working mainly to facilitate the work of the Manufacturing Commission, an independent body which conducts research into UK industrial policy. The Commission is particularly interested in policy problems relating to the long term sustainability of the UK’s manufacturing base.
Closing date: 30 June 2015
The EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Ultra Precision Engineering is currently recruiting postgraduate students interested in developing the next generation of ultra precision devices, advanced manufacturing technologies, and ultra high precision manufacturing systems.
The aim of the programme is to train students in advanced ultra high precision techniques and processes, including: high energy laser micro/nano processing; focused ion beam machining; reactive atom plasma processing; nanofabrication; graphene engineering; printed electronics machine design; and advanced metrology systems.
Upon successful completion of the MRes, the students progress to their PhD from a vast range of topics including: manufacturing engineering; laser processes; photonics; materials science; control systems; and machine design. During their PhD many students will be offered the opportunity to work alongside industrial partners allowing them to gain valuable business experience whilst receiving an additional maintenance top-up, bringing their stipend up to a possible £20,000pa tax free.
The deadline for completed applications is 30th June 2015 although applications are taken at any time. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as places are limited and the application process is highly competitive.
IfM Education and Consultancy Services (IfM ECS) is seeking to expand its activities for industry and government through the appointment of a small number of high-calibre Associates. Our Associates apply IfM research via consultancy and/or education services, working nationally and internationally with:
- Government and Government Agencies to help create the conditions for growth. Key services for national and regional governments include: Landscaping to identify opportunities for growth and the capabilities needed to secure sustainable advantage; Sector and technology roadmapping to identify, and build consensus for, a ‘chosen future’ and how to it is to be realised; Improve the competitveness of small and mid-size firms in sector supply chains through strategy and capability development; and support science and technology-led innovation
- Large and Multinational Firms to support sustainable growth. Key services include: Innovation and technology management; reconfiguration of global supply, production, service and value networks; business model innovation, capability development and performance measurement for firms transitioning to service-based business models
- Smaller and Mid-size Firms to clarify strategies and priorities for capability development as enablers for growth. These services deploy time-efficient, effective approaches designed for smaller firms, such as: Whole-business diagnosis and prioritisation; business strategy development and implementation planning; innovation and technology management; capability development planning for key areas across the business, such as supply chain management.
IfM ECS is wholly-owned by the University of Cambridge. Its profits are gifted to the University to fund future research and education activities.
The characteristics we seek in our Associates include a high calibre academic background; 15-25 years experience in industry and/or related policy areas, much at senior levels; and in interest in applying academic management and policy research to real industrial challenges and communicating learning from application to researchers.
We offer our Associates the opportunity to deploy high quality-research-based offerings to address some of today’s (and tomorrow’s) most interesting industrial challenges; a highly collaborative team environment; and an increasingly strong reputation for delivering impactful outputs to clients.
If you would like to explore this opportunity, please contact Peter Templeton, Chief Executive Officer on:
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T: +44 (0)1223 338174
Institute for Manufacturing, Department of Engineering
The IfM integrates research and education across the spectrum from production technologies through management to policy, with practical application in industry. We are always keen to hear from outstanding students for our MPhil and three-year PhD Research Degrees. Grants may be available.
Click here for more details or contact us:
- T: +44 (0)1223 760505
- E: email@example.com