Dr Ronan Daly
University Lecturer in the Science and Technology of Manufacturing
Ronan is a University Lecturer in the Science and Technology of Manufacturing based at the Institute for Manufacturing, Department of Engineering. He leads the research on Fluids in Advanced Manufacturing and is also part of the Inkjet Research Centre.
Ronan joined the Institute for Manufacturing in 2011. Prior to this, he completed his MEng (Chemical Engineering with European Studies) at the University of Edinburgh. He then joined Unilever R&D, where his final role was Process Technology Manager, leading the scale up work for a range of deodorant/antiperspirant innovations from lab to pilot and factory scale.
He moved to The School of Chemistry and the Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices (CRANN) in Trinity College Dublin (2006-2011) where his research and PhD topic in the Boland Research Group included a self-organisation technique to make highly ordered porous polymer materials for drug delivery applications. While in the ASIN lab and the Nanobio-Nanomechanics Lab he worked on developing scalable graphene-based biosensors. In addition, he collaborated with the Supramolecular & Medicinal Chemistry Research Group looking at supramolecular gels for biological applications.
His current role is focused on fluids and soft matter research, combining research into novel materials and devices with exploration of their manufacturing challenges, to drive effective scale-up of emerging technologies. Details can be found on the group website and also in the third edition of the IfM Review.
Key research interests include:
- Paper-based, acoustic and nanomaterial biosensors
- Scale-up challenges of emerging technologies
- Novel applications of inkjet printing
- Self-organised nanostructures
- Supramolecular gels
- Additive Manufacturing
- P. Nirmalraj, R. Daly, N. Martin, D.Thompson, Motion of Fullerenes around Topological Defects on Metals: Implications for the Progress of Molecular Scale Devices, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9, 7897–7902.
- J. Charmet, T. C. T. Michaels, R. Daly, A. Prasad, P. Thiruvenkathanathan, R. S. Langley, T. P. J. Knowles, A. A. Seshia, Quantifying Measurement Fluctuations from Stochastic Surface Processes on Sensors with Heterogeneous Sensitivity, Physical Review Applied, 2016, 5, 064016.
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, Taming Self-Organization Dynamics to Dramatically Control Porous Architectures, ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 3087–3092.
- O. Kotova, R. Daly, C. M. G. dos Santos, P. E. Kruger, J. J. Boland, T. Gunnlaugsson, Cross-Linking the Fibers of Supramolecular Gels Formed from a Tripodal Terpyridine Derived Ligand with d-Block Metal Ions, Inorganic Chemistry, 2015, 54, 7735-7741
- J. Charmet, R. Daly, P. Thiruvenkatanathan and A. A. Seshia, The effect of mass loading on spurious modes in micro-resonators. Applied Physics Letters, 2015, 107, 043502.
- R. Daly, T.S. Harrington, G.D. Martin, I.M. Hutchings, Inkjet printing for pharmaceutics - A review of research and manufacturing. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2015, 494, 554–567.
- J. Charmet, R. Daly, P. Thiruvenkatanathan, J. Woodhouse, A. A. Seshia, Observations of modal interactions in lateral bulk acoustic resonators. Applied Physics Letters 2014, 105, 013502
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, The Dominant role of the Solvent/Water Interface in Water Droplet Templating of Polymers. Soft Matter 2013, 9, 7960-7965
- R. Daly, O. Kotova, M. Boese, T. Gunnlaugsson, J. Boland, Chemical Nano-Gardens: Growth of Salt Nanowires from Supramolecular Self-assembly Gels. ACS Nano, 2013,7(6):4838-45
- R. Daly, J. E. Sader, J. J. Boland, Existence of Micrometer-Scale Water Droplets at Solvent/Air Interfaces. Langmuir, 2012, 28 (37), 13218–13223.
- O. Kotova, R. Daly, C.M.G. dos Santos, M. Boese, P.E. Kruger, J.J. Boland, T. Gunnlaugsson, Europium Directed Self Assembly of a Luminescent Supramolecular Gel from a Tripodal Terpyridine Based Ligand. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51 (29), 7208-7212
- R. Daly, S. Kumar, G. Lukacs, K. Lee, A. Weidlich, M. Hegner, G. S. Duesberg, Cell Proliferation Tracking Using Graphene Sensor Arrays. Journal of Sensors, 2012, Article ID 219485.
- S. Kumar, N. McEvoy, H. Kim, K. Lee, N. Peltekis, E. Rezvani, H. Nolan, A. Weidlich, R. Daly, G. S. Duesberg, CVD growth and processing of graphene for electronic applications. Physica Status Solidi (b), 2011, 248, (11), 2604–2608.
- R. Daly, Surface Characterization in "Fundamentals of Inkjet Printing: The Science of Inkjet and Droplets", Ed. S. D. Hoath, 2016, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 365-396.
- M. S. Akram, R. Daly, F. C. Vasconcellos, A. K. Yetisen, I. M. Hutchings, E. A. H. Hall, Applications of Paper-Based Diagnostics in "Lab-on-a-Chip Devices and Micro-Total Analysis Systems", Eds. J. Castillo-Leon, W. E. Svendsen, 2014, Springer ISBN 978-3-319-08686-6