Dr James Moultrie
Senior Lecturer in Design Management
Academic / Research interests / current work
Dr James Moultrie is a Senior Lecturer in Design Management and his research focuses on Design Management, the management of New Product Development (NPD) and the integration of design and technology. He is a fellow in engineering at Selwyn College, Cambridge. He is a member of the crucible network and is an Associate Editor of Creativity and Innovation Management Journal.
James is interested in new ways of managing NPD that address the inherent weaknesses of formal stage-gate type systems. James has a background in both industrial and engineering design, and this informs his interests in exploring the interface between the technical/functional and experiential (social, emotional) aspects of design. James has an ongoing interest in ways in which the value of design might be measured or assessed.
James coordinates the Design Management Group in the Institute for Manufacturing, and works closely with the Engineering Design Centre’s Design Practice group which aims to understand and represent aspects of design practice to make thinking and talking about design easier.
Potential research students should contact James directly. Topics of interest include: valuing design; visual tools to manage product development; a design trends ‘toolkit’; implementing design strategies; managing strategic design coherence. A more detailed list is available here.
Before joining academia, James had an industrial career, as a project manager, senior engineer and marketing product manager. In industry he was responsible for numerous projects, including metrology instruments and a range of lenses for the movie industry for which he was awarded a 'Scientific and Technical Academy Award ' (Oscar) and an Emmy in 2000. James is also a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (IMechE).
A full list of publications, including books and conference publications is available here .
- Miller K, Moultrie J, (2013), Delineating Design Leaders: A Framework of Design Management Roles in Fashion Retail, Creativity and Innovation Management, available online
- Johnson J, Moultrie J, (2012), Technology Confidence in Early Stage Development of Medical Devices, International Journal of Innovation Science, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp 57-70
- Maier A, Moultrie J, Clarkson P J, (2012), Assessing organisational capabilities: reviewing and guiding the development of maturity grids, Journal of IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, Vol. 59 No. 1, pp 138-159
- Nathan, A and Ahnood, A and Cole, MT and Lee, S and Suzuki, Y and Hiralal, P and Bonaccorso, F and Hasan, T and Garcia-Gancedo, L and Dyadyusha, A and Haque, S and Andrew, P and Hofmann, S and Moultrie, J and Chu, D and Flewitt, AJ and Ferrari, AC and Kelly, MJ and Robertson, J and Amaratunga, GAJ and Milne, WI (2012) Flexible electronics: The next ubiquitous platform. Proceedings of the IEEE, 100. pp. 1486-1517. ISSN 0018-9219
- Driver, A., Peralta, C., & Moultrie, J. 2011 Apr 30. Exploring How Industrial Designers Can Contribute to Scientific Research. International Journal of Design, 5:1
- Stevens J, Moultrie J, (2011), Aligning strategy and design perspectives: a framework of design’s strategic contributions, The Design Journal, Vol. 14 No. 4 pp475-500
- Moultrie J, Young A, (2009), Exploratory study of organisational creativity in creative organisations, Creativity and Innovation Management, Vol. 18 Issue 4
- Moultrie, J and Livesey, TF and Malvido, C and Beltagui, A and Pawar, K and Riedel, J (2009) Design funding in firms: a conceptual model of the role of design in industry. Design Management Journal, 5. pp. 68-82. ISSN 1948-7177
- Moultrie, J and Young, A (2009) Exploratory study of organisational creativity in creative organisations. Creativity and Innovation Management, 18. pp. 299-314. ISSN 0963-1690
- Crilly, N and Moultrie, J and Clarkson, PJ (2009) Shaping things: intended consumer response and other determinants of product form. Design Studies, 30. pp. 224-254. ISSN 0142-694X (draft available here)
- Moultrie J, Clarkson P J, Probert D R, (2007), Development of a design audit tool, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 24 No. 4, pp. 335-368
- Moultrie, J and Nilsson, M and Dissel, M and Haner, U and Janssen, S and Van der Lugt, R (2007) Innovation spaces: towards a framework for understanding the role of the physical environment in innovation. Creativity and Innovation Management, 16. pp. 53-65. ISSN 0963-1690
- Moultrie J, Clarkson P J, Probert D R, (2006), Development of a product audit, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Proceedings of the I.Mech.E Part B, Vol. 220 No. 7, pp 1157-1174
- Stevens, J and Moultrie, J (2008) How is design strategic? Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. ISSN 1833-1874
- Moultrie, J and Clarkson, PJ and Probert, D (2006) Development of a product audit tool. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 220. pp. 1157-1174. ISSN 0954-4054
- Moultrie, J and Clarkson, PJ and Probert, D (2006) A tool to evaluate design performance in SMEs. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 55. pp. 184-216. ISSN 1741-0401
- Moultrie, J and Lewis, M and Dissel, M and Gregory, M (2005) The organizational innovation laboratory. Creativity and Innovation Management, 14. pp. 73-83. ISSN 0963-1690
- Crilly, N and Moultrie, J and Clarkson, PJ (2004) Seeing things: consumer response to the visual domain in product design. Design Studies, 25. pp. 547-577. ISSN 0142-694X (draft here)