Dr Elli Verhulst
Business Tool Developer
Elli is a Business Tool Developer within PrISMS, a programme for SMEs and start-ups in the Eastern Region of the UK that focuses on sustainable growth. She joined the team of IfM ECS in September 2013.
Prior to this Elli worked as a researcher and lecturer at the Faculty of Design Sciences at the University of Antwerp, where her main focus was on sustainable product innovation, design methodology and industrial design education. She represented the research group in the faculty board from 2010 until 2013. In 2012 and 2013 Elli was visiting lecturer at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia within the International Design Project Semester. Elli combined these activities with consultancy work at shiftN, a community-of-practice that focuses on bringing clarity in complexity through system innovation and future thinking.
In 2010, Elli was visiting researcher at the Department of Industrial Product Design at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), in Trondheim, Norway.
Elli holds a Master in Product Development from the University of Antwerp. In 2012 she received the degree of Doctor at that same university with the thesis entitled ‘The human side of sustainable design implementation from the perspective of change management.’
- Sustainable design implementation in business and education
- System innovation for sustainable development
- Industrial design, innovation management and strategies
- Verhulst, E. and Van Doorsselaer, K. (2013). Ecodesign in Higher EducationĂ˘â‚¬¨Development of a Hands-on Toolkit to Support Integration of Ecodesign in Engineering Programmes. In: Rethinking the Engineers. Proceedings of the International EESD 2013 Conference (electronic). 22-25 September 2013, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Verhulst, E. (2012). The human side of sustainable design implementation from the perspective of change management. PhD thesis at the University of Antwerp, Belgium. ISBN 978-90-5728-353-6
- Verhulst, E., Boks, C. and Dewit, I. (2012) Chapter 3: Implementation of sustainable innovations and business models. In book: Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability. Edited by Marcus Wagner. Greenleaf Publishing, UK. Pp. 32-66.
- Verhulst, E. and Boks, C. (2012) ‘The role of human factors in the adoption of sustainable design criteria in business: evidence from Belgian and Dutch case studies’, Int. J. Innovation and Sustainable Development, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.146–163.