Reader in Technology Management, Head of CTM
David Probert pursued an industrial career with Marks and Spencer and Philips for some 18 years before returning to Cambridge in 1991. His experience covers a wide range of industrial engineering and management disciplines in the UK and overseas.
He joined the Manufacturing Engineering Group as Royal Academy of Engineering/Lucas Industries Research Fellow, to develop a practical approach to the issues of make or buy and vertical integration in manufacturing industry, which has been widely applied and disseminated.
Now Reader in Technology Management, David is a founding member and Head of the IfM's Centre for Technology Management. David's research interests include:
- Technology and innovation strategy
- Technology management processes
- Make or buy, technology acquisition and software sourcing
- Industrial sustainability
For more information see:
His publications include 'Developing a make or buy strategy for manufacturing business' published by the Institute of Electrical Engineers, and 'T-Plan: The fast start to technology roadmapping' published by the Institute for Manufacturing.
- Ford, S., Mortara, L., & Probert,.D., (2012), 'Disentangling the complexity of early stage technology acquisitions.' Research - Technology Management 55,1-9 .
- Kerr,C., Phaal, R. & Probert, D. (2012) , 'Cognitive, articulate, communicate: The psyhosocial reality of technology roadmapping and roadmaps. R&D Management - The journal of research, technology and innovation management, 42(1),pp. 1-13.
- Keltsch, J.-N., Probert, D.R. and Phaal, R. (2011), ‘A process for configuring technology management tools’, International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning, 7(3), pp. 181-200
- Hunt, F., Thorn, V., Michell, R., Probert, D. and Phaal, R. (2011), ‘Internal technology valuation: real world issues’, International Journal of Technology Management, 53(2-4), pp. 149-160.
- Tao, L and Probert, DR and Phaal, R (2010) Towards an integrated framework for managing the process of innovation. R&D Management, 40. pp. 19-30. ISSN 0033-6807
- Kerr, CIV and Phaal, R and Probert, DR (2010) Ranking maritime platform upgrade options. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment, 224. pp. 47-59. ISSN 1475-0902
- Kapletia, D and Probert, D (2010) Migrating from products to solutions: An exploration of system support in the UK defense industry. IND MARKET MANAG, 39. pp. 582-592. ISSN 0019-8501
- Mitchell, RF and Hunt, F and Probert, DR (2010) Valuing and comparing small portfolios. Research Technology Management, 53. pp. 43-54. ISSN 0895-6308
- 2009 Visualising strategy: a classification of graphical roadmap forms, Phaal, R., Farrukh, C.J.P. and Probert, D.R., International Journal of Technology Management, 47 (4), pp. 286-305.
- 2009 Technology intelligence practice in UK technology-based companies, Letizia Mortara, Clive I.V. Kerr, Robert Phaal and David R. Probert, International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp 115 – 135, 2009.
- 2009 Understanding Technology Management as a Dynamic Capability: A Framework for Technology Management Activities, Dilek Cetendimar, Robert Phaal and David Probert, Technovation: The International Journal of Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Technology Management, 29 (4), 237 – 246, 2009.
- 2008 Technology insertion in the defence industry: a primer, Kerr, C. I. V.; Phaal, R. & Probert, D. R, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Volume 222, Number 8, pp. 1009-1023. ISSN: 0954-4054.
- 2008 Development of practitioner guidelines for partnerships between start-ups and large firms, Tim Minshall, Letizia Mortara, Stelios Elia and David Probert, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 19 No. 3, pp. 391-406, 2008. Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2009.
- 2008 Morphology analysis for technology roadmapping: application of text mining, Yoon, B., Phaal, R. and Probert, D.R R&D Management, 38 (1), pp. 51-68.
- 2008 Exploratory roadmapping for foresight, Beeton, D.A., Phaal, R. and Probert, D.R. (2008), International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning, 4 (4), pp. 398-412.
- 2007 Sourcing software content for manufactured products, David Probert; Francis Hunt; Peter Fraser; Andre Fleury; Tony Holden, Proc.IMechE, Part B: J.Engineering Manufacture, 2007, 221(B5), 809 - 820. DOI: 10.1243/09544054JEM532.