Dr Carlos López-Gómez
Main investigator of the Economic Value Capture from Industrial-Innovation Systems research strand at the Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy.
- National Calue Capture through Manufacturing: Economic value capture analyses of manufacturing industries beyond the ‘smiling-curve’.
- Industrial Policy: Development frameworks and international approaches.
- Manufacturing Futures: National competency requirements for future manufacturing competitiveness.
After completing his PhD under the supervision of Mike Gregory and Eoin O’Sullivan, Carlos joined the Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (CSTI) as a Research Associate from March 2013. Carlos’ PhD thesis was entitled “National Value Capture in Modern Industrial Systems: Insights for Policy Development”.
Before joining the IfM, Carlos gained industrial experience in the automotive and engineering services industries, both in Mexico and the US. Recently, he has collaborated with institutions such as the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), the European Commission and the UK Government Office of Science on policy-related initiatives. In 2012, he acted as project leader in a UNIDO-sponsored study on “Emerging Trends in Global Manufacturing Industries and Implications for Latin America”, developed jointly by the Institute for Manufacturing and the University of São Paulo.
Carlos is a member of Downing College.
Recent publications and working papers
- Blancas, A., & López-Gómez, C. (Forthcoming). Technological and financial integration of SMEs in Mexico: towards a new industrialisation policy. In Industrial Challenges in Mexico (Ed.). School of Economics, National Polytechnic Institute. [Book chapter in Spanish].
- López-Gómez, C., O’Sullivan, E., Gregory, M., Fleury, A., & Gomes, L. (2012). Emerging Trends in Global Manufacturing Industries and Implications for Latin America. An Institute for Manufacturing Submission to UNIDO-ECLAC’s Study on “Industrial Diversification in Latin America".
- López-Gómez, C. and O’Sullivan, E. (2012). National and regional value-capture in evolving industrial systems: insights from Singapore’s aerospace industry. University of Cambridge Centre for Industry and Government Working Paper. An earlier version of this paper was presented in March 2012 at the Institute for Technology, Enterprise and Competitiveness (ITEC), Doshisha University.
- Andreoni, A. and López-Gómez, C. (2011). Can we live on services? Exploring the black box of manufacturing-services interfaces for operations management and industrial policy design. Presented at the Singapore Economic Review Conference 2011, Singapore. A revised version was presented at the DRUID Academy Conference 2012, Cambridge.
- López-Gómez, C. and O’Sullivan, E. (2011). Aligning industrial policy & evolving industrial systems: An enhanced framework to structure industry analysis. Presented at the Gulf Research Meeting 2011, Cambridge University.
- López-Gómez, C. and Gregory, M. (2009). Exploring the links between national manufacturing policies and firm level manufacturing strategies. In proceedings of the 16th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Gothenburg, 2009.