This intensive three-day course will help managers to understand and to use the key tools and techniques needed to manage and exploit technological investments and opportunities.
This three-day course comprises a stimulating mix of taught modules, discussion, cases and practical activities. The programme provides an opportunity to share experience with participants from other industry sectors, and to establish links to the wider academic and international network at IfM.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to technology and innovation management - Key issues in technology and innovation management, introducing core models, frameworks and processes, stimulated by Philips case study.
- Technology and innovation management: evolutionary and change perspectives - The context within which technologies are developed and commercialised is constantly changing. This session provides frameworks for analysing the impact of change at the technology, industry and market levels.
- Technology intelligence - How to keep abreast of the latest technology developments and trends - An introductory overview of the technology intelligence model (framework, system, process, sources, examples).
- Managing innovation - key concepts, and managing disruptive innovation.
- Open innovation - Understanding the opportunities and challenges of open innovation for example, the role of intermediaries.
- Strategic technology management - Strategic technology management concepts, frameworks and approaches, including valuation, portfolios, scenarios and roadmapping, with group discussion.
- Roadmapping activity - Hands-on practice to experience how roadmaps can be developed within a workshop environment.
- New product introduction game - Simulation game, providing hands-on experience of designing, developing and marketing products in multifunctional teams.
- Managing partnerships - This session provides an opportunity to identify the key challenges of managing partnerships between two dissimilar organisations, and to learn some of the techniques that have been developed for overcoming these challenges.
- IP management - Intellectual property issues when identifying, valuing and exploiting technology.
- Project selection - An approach to evaluating innovation opportunities and technology-based projects using multi-factor scoring.
What you will learn
By the end of the course you will have a working knowledge of how to:
- integrate technological considerations into business strategy and long-range planning processes.
- understand and communicate the value of technology investments.
- manage new product development and introduction processes in the context of the innovation system.
- use appropriate, process-based technology management approaches.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for managers involved in all stages of product realisation from R&D to customer support including technologists, product managers, manufacturing managers, strategic planners and consultants.
Previous attendees have included representatives from:
BAE Systems | BP | Caterpillar | Dyson | FujiFilm | GKN |Jaguar Land Rover |
Kraft | The LEGO Group | Mars | Philips |Rolls-Royce | Thales | Unilever
The course will be presented by members of the IfM's Centre for Technology Management (CTM).
CTM's research covers a broad range of issues, providing industrial technology managers and the wider community with a unique resource for investigating effective TM practices. Course presenters have extensive industrial experience at a senior level.
A copy of the book 'Technology Management: Activities and Tools' (published by Palgrave MacMillan) is included in the course fee.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
This event may contribute towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) as part of your professional institution's monitoring scheme.
University of Cambridge endorsement
IfM open courses are endorsed by the Board of Executive and Professional Education.
Duration: Three days
Earlybird fee: £2995.00 plus VAT - the fee will include the course dinner, all daytime refreshments and course materials.
No dates currently available.
For further information please contact:
T: +44 1223 766141
"Good interactive sessions in a comfortable setting"
Research & Technology Manager, BAE Systems - Submarine Solutions
"Superb course, a good foundation for further learning"
Team Leader, Rolls-Royce
"The lecturers were approachable, enthusiastic and informative. Exercises were fun and great for learning."
Technology Analyst , ITI