Dr Eoin O'Sullivan
Director, Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy (CSTI)
- University-industry research collaboration mechanisms
- The evolving contribution of university research to emerging technologies and industries
- The influence of standards and regulation on emerging technologies and industries
- The manufacturability challenges of key emerging technologies
- The interdependencies and linkages between elements of modern technological, manufacturing and industrial systems
- Processes for aligning science and innovation policies with governmental industrial strategies
Eoin O'Sullivan joined the Institute for Manufacturing as a Senior Policy Fellow in 2007. Since then Eoin has carried out research on the ways science and engineering R&D is translated in new technologies, industries and economic wealth. Eoin's policy-related activities have included studies for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills; the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council; the UK Government Office of Science; the Technology Strategy Board; and the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
Before joining the IfM, Eoin was Special Advisor to the Director General of Science Foundation Ireland. At SFI, Eoin managed several university-industry initiatives including the national Centres for Science, Engineering & Technology (CSET) programme. Eoin was part of the original team that set up SFI. He was both a Senior Policy Advisor at Forfas, The Irish National Policy & Advisory Board for Enterprise, Trade, Science, Technology & Innovation and a Senior Programme Officer for Information & Communications Technologies at the Foundation.
Selected Publications & Policy Studies
- Probert, D., Ford, S., Routley, M., O'Sullivan, E. Phaal, R. (2013). 'Understanding and navigating industrial emergence'. Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture. Forthcoming.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2013). 'S&T Innovation Systems: The Role of Manufacturing, Intermediate Institutes and Leaders' in 'Addressing Research Innovation & Leadership: The Real Issue of the Middle East and the Arab Spring', Andersson, T., Djeflat, A. (Ed.s). Innovation Technology & Knowledge Management, Springer.
- O'Sullivan, E. and Mitchell, N. (2012). 'International Approaches to Understanding the Future of Manufacturing'. A report for the UK Government Office of Science.
- O'Sullivan, E. and Brevignon-Dodin, L. (2012). 'The Role of Standardisation in Supporting Emerging Technologies'. A study for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills and the British Standards Institute.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2011). 'International Approaches to Manufacturing Research'. A report for the UK Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council.
- Phaal, R., O'Sullivan, E. Routley, M., Ford, S., Probert, D. (2010). 'A framework for mapping industrial emergence'. Technol. Forecast Soc. Change, 78: 217-230
- Kenward, M., O'Sullivan, E. (2010). 'Impact where it matters: The economic, social and cultural benefits of higher education in the UK'. A report for the Higher Education Funding Council of England.
- O'Sullivan, E. (2010). 'The Role of the National Research Base as Attractor of R&D Foreign Direct Investment'. A secondment report for the UK Department of Business, Innovation & Skills.
- Crawley, G.M. and O'Sullivan, E. (2006). 'The Celtic Tiger and a Knowledge Economy'. Industry & Higher Education, Vol. 20 (4), 225-229.
- Kyhm, K. Taylor, R.A., O'Sullivan, E.D., et al. (2002). 'Hot phonons and non-thermal carrier states in GaN. Physica B-Condensed Matter, 314 (1-4): 30-34
- Kim, J., Maciel, A., O'Sullivan, E.D., et al (2000). 'Fermi-edge singularities in the photoluminescence spectrum of modulation-dope v-groove quantum wires. Physica E, 7(3-4): 517-520